Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A step in the right direction...history is being made!!

Although I was not a huge Obama supporter for the fact that our beliefs on abortion differ and some Christian views did not meet up.....I could not be more elated that a black man is president of the United States of America!! How great is that!

A few facts and eye openers:
(From Wikipedia)
The Emancipation Proclomation signed by Abraham Lincoln on September 22, 1862 (declared freedom for only the slaves in the Confederate States) This was only 146 years ago!! Several former slave states passed legislation prohibiting slavery; however, some slavery continued to exist until the institution was ended by the sufficient states' ratification of the Thirteenth amendmant on December 18, 1865. This was over 4 million slaves freed by 1865!! (not too long ago were ignorant people treating black people as though they were not human and by NO MEANS did it mean anything close to equality!!)

Rosa Parks arrested for sitting in the "white" section of the bus on December 1, 1955. At this point in history segregation was still strong. The The Montgomery Bus Boycott was triggered by her arrest--when she was charged for violating racial segregation laws in Montgomery after refusing to give up her bus seat to a white man. She was sitting in the fifth row (the first row that blacks could occupy), along with three other blacks. Soon, all of the first four rows were filled up, and a white man walked on. Since blacks and whites could not be in the same row, the bus driver insisted for all of the blacks to move. The other three blacks complied, but Parks refused and was walked out of her bus. Her arrest immediately followed. That was only 53 years ago!!

Civil Rights Act of 1964 landmark piece of legislation in the United States that outlawed racial segregation in schools, public places, and employment. Thus giving all Americans the right to be served in facilities which are open to the public—hotels, restaurants, theaters, retail stores, and similar establishments," as well as "greater protection for the right to vote." By no means did it mean treated fairly!(only 44 years ago)

November 4, 2008 Barack Obama ( a black man) is President-elect!! Things are slowly but surely changing.

I felt it important to note the dates. It is amazing to me that such a short time ago things were so horribly, humanely wrong!! I know a lot of people think that things are great; fair, equal, etc. today, but they are NOT!! As a white woman I will never know what it is like to be passed by a taxi cab because of the color of my skin, I will never know the pain of being denied a bank loan because the color of my skin, never know what it is like to be pulled over by a police man because I am in the "wrong neighborhood", denied housing because the color of my skin, etc.

I have 3 WONDERFUL children. The white young men that Iam raising have many people to look up to in history that have gone before them and been "leaders" in our government. It is easy for them to look at me and say and know without a doubt that they too could be President of the United States. Until yesterday, young black boys could not do the same thing!! It is hard to be successful when you have had no prior role models before you. It is difficult to see what you can do when it has never been done before. I embrace the opportunity of raising my black daughter to be a wonderfully, strong, independent, leader that can do ANYTHING she wants to do no matter her sex or color! I am so thankful to my mighty God and Savior who has blessed me with my 3 soldiers to raise for His glory!! I am so proud that I am alive for this moment and pray I can be a part of many more wonderful steps forward in my lifetime!!! Thank you God for your mercy, your love, and your GRACE!!

My thoughts for the evening!! Have a great and blessed day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wasn't really happy with the new pres for the same reasons you stated. but we have to accept that God is in control and He allowed it to happened for a reason. Now we have to work with it.

I am so glad that you are raising your boys up to be good, strong, Godly men. And Clara to be a good, strong, Godly, black woman! They are all just precious!

We MUST get together with you guys...other than picking up cupcakes!!

I will talk to you tomorrow. Have a great time on your field trip with the pumpkins!

Can't wait to taste the cupcakes....

Much love........
Amu