Tuesday, April 13, 2010

PawPaw’s 59th and Adventures in Newark

Saturday was my Dad’s 59th birthday!!  We celebrated with my grandmother, uncle, brother and his wife.  We started with dinner out and then headed over to our house for some birthday dessert and cards.  My mom made her famous carrot cake and I made Coconut Lime cupcakes.  I have struggled with baking since changing over to vegan because it is hard to make baked goods taste as good as my old cupcakes.  Christian snubbed his nose at the chocolate chip cookies I have been making so much to sub for other desserts we cannot have.  He talked me into trying cupcakes again.  I used the recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.  It was the first time I was pleased with cupcakes I had baked since becoming vegan.  They were good!!  Even the non-vegan people ate ‘em up.  I cannot believe my Dad is one year away from 60!!  Life is really flying by way too fast.  We had a nice evening playing cards and celebrating his life.  He is a fantastic father and grandfather!

vegan cupcakes 001 They really were yummy!  I will definitely be making again!

Christian was planning on taking a blacksmith class in Newark, TX.  So we decided to spend the night Sunday night to avoid such an early drive on Monday morning.  We got to eat at our favorite little Vegan place for dinner Sunday night.  It is so nice to be able to eat whatever you want and not have to decipher what is “acceptable” and what isn’t.  Just a nice relief and change of pace.  We woke up early Monday and still had about 45 minutes of driving left to get to the workshop.  Christian and another man were the students for the day.  It made me nervous to leave my kiddoe with 2 grown men.  I had read about the ministry and was very pleased with what I had learned but I was still a bit nervous.  I met Kathy, Chuck’s wife, before I left.  She was such a sweet woman.  Christian was so excited for his day of blacksmithing and learning.  The workshop lasted from 9-5 or so.  Christian was worn out when I picked him up but he LOVED it!!  He cannot wait to buy more blacksmith equipment and begin learning more.  If your kiddo is interested in blacksmithing, Chuck, is definitely your guy.  www.stoneplace.org  We were just thrilled with the opportunity and the ministry that he provides.  His wife was just a sweetie too.  Here are some pics I took of Christian towards the end of the class.  I also took a pic of his finished projects.  He made a key chain and a decorative hook.  I just am so proud of him.  I couldn’t help but sit back and watch him and just beam with pride!!  I am just so thankful God chose me to be his Mom.

Newark, TX adventure & Pawpaw's 59th bday 054 Newark, TX adventure & Pawpaw's 59th bday 078  Newark, TX adventure & Pawpaw's 59th bday 061Newark, TX adventure & Pawpaw's 59th bday 062Newark, TX adventure & Pawpaw's 59th bday 064Newark, TX adventure & Pawpaw's 59th bday 074

The finished products….He also made a poker (tool to use in the fire but did not get a pic of it)  

newark, TX adventure 002newark, TX adventure 001

While Christian was in his class the kids and I headed over to a state park.  It was a new park and was really neat.  We enjoyed ourselves.  We ended up hiking 3.7 miles….let me remind you with a toddler in tow!  Actually I held Clara most of the time.  I had not planned on bringing the kids but plans changed.  So I was not too prepared with what activities we were going to do while Christian was in his class.  I had worn sandals that are definitely not meant for hiking.  The hike was long, hard, exhausting but so worth it!Newark, TX adventure & Pawpaw's 59th bday 048 Newark, TX adventure & Pawpaw's 59th bday 014 Newark, TX adventure & Pawpaw's 59th bday 015 Newark, TX adventure & Pawpaw's 59th bday 016 Newark, TX adventure & Pawpaw's 59th bday 017 Newark, TX adventure & Pawpaw's 59th bday 023 Newark, TX adventure & Pawpaw's 59th bday 031 Newark, TX adventure & Pawpaw's 59th bday 032 Newark, TX adventure & Pawpaw's 59th bday 033 Newark, TX adventure & Pawpaw's 59th bday 034 Newark, TX adventure & Pawpaw's 59th bday 037 Newark, TX adventure & Pawpaw's 59th bday 038 Newark, TX adventure & Pawpaw's 59th bday 042 Newark, TX adventure & Pawpaw's 59th bday 046 Newark, TX adventure & Pawpaw's 59th bday 047

All in all it was a very long, long but productive day.  I am still exhausted from it all….=)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I just recently found your blog's link on the vegan chat group.
I am a vegetarian trying to but vegan as much as I can, but it can be difficult where I live. I am in the process of adopting from China and I am a teacher, so I find your blog very interesting. :)

Keep it up.

Sherri